The project comprised the construction of a new purpose built facility to undertake the maintenance and testing of submarine diesel generators at the ASC North Site, Osborne. The project was key to achieving new maintenance cycles stipulated by the Commonwealth of Australia and had considerable time and budget constraints.
Lucid were appointed the lead consultant role given our previous experience in similar facilities and the engineering services intensive nature of the project. Lucid were responsible for collaborating with ASC to satisfy all approvals gateways including Safety in Design Reviews, Value Management Workshops and Stakeholder Review Workshops and obtaining relevant external approvals including Building Rules Consent and Development Approval. Obtaining development approval required direct liaison with the EPA. Lucid were also responsible for managing the sub-consultant team including structural and civil engineers, architect, acoustic engineer, cost consultant, building certifier and emissions modelling specialist.
Construction was successfully completed in October 2014. Lucid were heavily involved throughout construction phase to assist ASC in delivering the facility including regular site attendance and response to queries, regular inspection reporting and commissioning witnessing.
The facility included the following provisions:
- Systems to enable the diesel generators to operate on land including induction and exhaust systems, specialist compressed air and drier plant, river water cooling system, fuel transfer system, control system and load bank.
- Systems to facilitate the safe operation within the facility including acoustic treatments, gantry crane, cooling and extraction systems, fire protection services, general power and lighting, emergency stop provisions, earthing systems and emergency shower.
- Support areas including Control Room, Breakout Room and ablution area.
- Ability to disconnect services and changeover engines as required.
- Provision to operate two diesel engines simultaneously.