Flinders University – Large Scale Solar PV System
Flinders University have installed over 1.8MW of Solar Photovoltaic (PV) systems across their Bedford Park campus.
The installation involved the construction of new solar shade structures at an existing car park and rooftop installations at six major buildings. The University engaged Lucid as the Engineering Project Manager and Project Superintendent providing professional services for:
- Independent technical review of Design and Construct documentation.
- Installation verification including compliance and safety reviews.
- Contract negotiation.
- Cost management.
- Risk management.
- Complex Staging and Sequencing.
Lucid added value by providing technical advice on how the solutions could ‘best integrate’ to existing infrastructure. Lucid identified multiple opportunities to enable a robust, economical and expandable infrastructure solution.
The project works included:
- 500kW solar panel output capacity at six major buildings.
- 1,100kW solar panel output capacity at major carpark supported by new shade structures.
- Dedicated new inverter room.
- New 11/0.4kV distribution transformers.
- New 400V Solar Main Switchboards.
- Integration to the existing 11kV campus ring main.
- Integration to existing SAPN Utility network, including SCADA systems.
- High voltage system modelling and load flow analysis.
- Protection Study review and development of protection settings for all new protection devices.
- Protection grading for new Solar ‘Generators’ in accordance with upstream SAPN grading limits.
Photo credit: Flinders University.